Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sweet summertime

What do you do when you live in a microscopically small town and wind up jobless the summer before your third year of college? How do you feel productive and accomplished when its seems like everyone you know is making bank, interning, traveling the world, and embarking into "the real world" while you're twiddling your thumbs deciding how to even spend your summer? How do you make success from an overabundance of free time?

Each of these questions has popped into my mind countless times and frustrated me no end... until very recently. A few months ago, I watched my summer plans unravel right in front of me when a job I had hoped to have during the months between my second and third year at the University of Virginia did not pan out. At the time, I was unsure of my college major (I was in the process of applying for Media Studies) and did not know where to even begin pursuing other job options. By the time I was accepted into the program for media studies, many of the summer internships related to my major for which I would have applied had already filled all of their positions. Consequently, I was very much unemployed, discouraged, and annoyed at myself for being in this predicament.

The situation only seemed to worsen when I actually came home for the summer. My hometown has fewer than 7,000 inhabitants and even fewer summer jobs available for someone my age. So after briefly (and halfheartedly) attempting to get a job in my area, I began getting desperate for ways to either make money or simply feel like I was doing something, anything, useful with my time. With the hopes of making some money, I uploaded examples of my photography onto a website that sells images for commercial purposes. I also attempted taking online surveys that pay cash. They were both pretty unsuccessful endeavors that have yet to add one dollar to my bank account.

Instead of wallowing in the summer that I was not having, though, I decided to try looking at what I did have and come up with ways to feel useful and productive in the environment around me. Since I had this attitude adjustment, I have been so much happier and have been actually enjoying my summer, even though I still have no official job. 

I'm using this blog as a way to document the events of my summer, from the occasional mundane tasks to the more exciting projects and activities I'm undertaking. Because I love writing and using digital media, this website seemed like a good way to showcase how I spent and enjoyed my summer. Here are some of the things I am currently really looking forward to:

1) Vacation Bible School is July 15th! I haven't helped in two years, but I so pumped to return and lead the music in a month!

2) 73958734 repairs, DIY projects, and planning for my new apartment in Charlottesville! Eeeek! I love that I can now bring to fruition things I pinned on Pinterest... :)

3) My church is starting an Olympics-themed program for kids six Fridays this summer. I'm helping with the crafts there as well as creating a website and documenting/filming/photographing kids being awesome. It's pretty obvious why I wanted to be a Media Studies major, I think. :)

4) OBB, or better known as Operation Boyfriend's Birthday! John turns 22 on the 25th of June, and I am diligently working to make that date a success. :) The specifics on that may stay under wraps for now, though, as I want everything to be a surprise. :) 

5) Simply spending time with my incredible friends and family that surround me on a daily basis. They always keep me going and make life that much sweeter.

This summer is shaping up to be pretty spectacular after all. :)

Basically, if you want to be happy, then be.

Love, 
Susan


No comments:

Post a Comment